Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Shopping...bah humbug

I hate to say that I'm completely behind on Christmas shopping, but I am. I had high hopes and aspirations of completing all my tasks early, but the Christmas spirit just didn't kick me into gear early enough! Monday night I decided to make a couple of stops - for items I needed to finish homemade gifts that were going out - and was very discouraged. Thank you has apparently become an obsolete term and competitive retail grabbing should become a new Olympic sport. The ability to decisively maneuver the shopping cart is now essential in the race around the store and when looking for the quickest line to cut in.

I must admit that I have relied on the ever-faithful UPS and USPS men and women to provide front door service for a good chunk of my shopping and while I used to enjoy the last minute hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping and picking up a few items on Christmas Eve - I don't know if I'll be venturing out this year.

Has this holiday become so stressful that smiles are replaced with frowns and a friendly welcome replaced with no response? Maybe less should be more - more time to enjoy a holiday moving curled up at home sipping hot chocolate with family, more time personalizing Chistmas cards, more time enjoying a special homecooked dinner with family and friends - and less shopping, running around, and stress!

No comments: